Monday, March 2, 2009

Two Sets of Three Words

World. Baseball. Classic

Eastbound. And. Down

______________________________________________


Before I get started with this post, which is obviously baseball oriented (East Bound & Down is a new series on HBO about an ex-baseball superstar), I’d like to point out a rare (not really that rare) mistake made by yours truly. After it was brought to my attention by a couple of my “fans”, I noticed my second post about the magnitude of Tiger’s return to golf wasn’t exactly clear on what I was trying to emphasize. So I’m going to take a page from a pro’s book, and since we’ve got a baseball theme going, I’ll take it from Jason Giambi. If the “Great” Giambino can make a mistake as horrendous as almost killing himself with steroids, admit to it, and win Comeback Player of the Year, than I guess the American people love a man who can admit his mistakes. Well small percentage of American people, today that mistake making man is me, a young twenty-something, whose writing skills are average at best. (Remember, I already admitted to being somewhere behind Jesus and Batman in the mistakes column). Anyways, my mistake was not clarifying that Tiger’s return to golf was the biggest to his respective sport than any other previous athlete’s return. Not the most impressive, triumphant, surprising or anticipated, but important to his sport, golf, and more so, the PGA (not to mention all of his sponsors). Think about this, if Tiger comes back and isn’t the same, but instead mortal like the Lefty’s and the Vijay’s, how long until watching just another good golfer gets old for the average sports fan. Here’s an article by USA Today that really goes in to detail about Tiger’s return. So yes, MJ’s return was more surprising and anticipated, but the NBA was going to live on successfully with or without his greatness. Golf and the PGA on the other hand, would live on without Tiger, but especially in the current recession, with how much success?

 Again, my apologies America.

 ______________________________________________


World Baseball Classic ‘09

 As the self-proclaimed David Eckstein of my high school baseball team, I feel not only qualified, but also obligated to advertise and preview the upcoming WBC. As you may or may not know the WBC is baseball’s version of the World Cup with a couple of minor differences (besides the obvious that different sports are being played). The differences are that there are 16 and not 32 teams, and that the U.S. has a legit shot at winning. Although pool play starts on March 5th, I felt it was necessary to get the word out a little earlier so that you can buy your official New Era U.S. hat like I have. Note: New Era hats take a little breaking-in before you can wear them in public, unless you enjoy looking like a goob, hence the early announcement. I’m a big fan of the WBC and think you should be too, here’s why: You can be a fan of a real contender without being a bandwagoner (I know bandwagoner isn’t a word but I also know you know what it means); also, you don’t have to sit through a grueling 162 games for an 8-team playoff.

I am a Texas Rangers fan, known to the commoner as a “lost soul” and/or “idiot”. But with the WBC, I am found. I’m not going to sit here and argue anything Rangers, but I will suggest some teams to watch and let you know why my two years of T-ball, two years of coach pitch, and ten years of kid/teenager pitch lead me to believe the U.S. will bring this one home. Offense wins games; pitching wins championships (team character helps too, which is why I like the U.S. over the Dominicans). Here is a great preview to the WBC. The D.R. has the best line-up on paper, no question, but I really feel the U.S. is second and has the best top-to-bottom pitching staff.

Here’s how I think it will play out (WBC bracket):

Round 1: Japan (winner) and Korea from Pool A, Mexico (winner) and Cuba from Pool B, USA (winner) and Venezuela from Pool C, Dominican Republic (winner) and Puerto Rico from Pool D.

Round 2: Mexico (winner) and Japan from Pool 1, Domincan Republic (winner) and USA from Pool 2.

Semi-Finals: U.S. outlasts Mexico 3-2 as Roy O and Matt Garza go toe-to-toe. D.R. beat Japan 9-4 as Yu Darvish gets it from behind from the big bats of the D.R.

Finals: U.S. wins in comeback fashion 5-4, A-Rod still can’t win a championship, and Toby Keith writes a god-awful song about it. The four position players I think take this team over the top: Derek Jeter, Dustin Pedrioa, Shane Victorino, and Curtis Granderson. American's on top again, SON.

By the way, if I had to choose a dark-horse, I'd say Mexico. I really like the additions of young pitchers Matt Garza and Yovani Gallardo. Also because I'm Hispanic, but the U.S. is still my team because I was born in the U.S. (and people can rarely tell I'm Hispanic when they meet me), plus the green and red Mexico hat was just too ugly. 

______________________________________________


Eastbound and Down.

If you don't like either The Office or Entourage, I don't like you. Just kidding, I still like you, but I like people who like either of these two shows more, sorry. Regardless, if you enjoy laughing, you will like Eastbound and Down. I will admit, it's not for the faint of heart, or for those who cannot take a vulgar joke or three, but if you have any bit of immaturity in your sense of humor, get HBO if you don't already have it, or wait for the DVD's and watch EB&D. It's produced by Will Ferrell and stars Danny Mcbride, the only real bright spot from Pineapple Express, and well watch this trailer (which doesn't do it enough justice, but this the only one without much cursing).

Warning: a couple of G.D.'s are dropped incase you are at work.


I added this to my short list of DVRed shows (which includes The Office, Entourage, Top Chef, Important Things with Demetri Martin, which i'm only 98 percent sold on, and occasionally the Colbert Report). So I hope you add it too, but it's understood if you have little ears in your house that keep you from watching crude and vulgar shows.

______________________________________________

Song of the Post



No comments:

Post a Comment