Thursday, February 26, 2009

Beer Me a Hypothetical

Let me just throw this out there; I like hypotheticals, a lot. Sure, in hindsight they are a complete waste of time, but usually so is two-thirds of my day. And at least a quarter of my day is spent sleeping so you do the math on how much productive time I pump out per day. Anyways, I think hypotheticals are great for numerous reasons. Reason A, they are a great conversation starter in cases where people don't know each other that well because of their often ridiculous and lighthearted nature. Reason B, I love sports and the two go together like Pamela Anderson and red one-pieces. For example, (and this one has been fiercely argued over between some of my good friends) Could you ever score a single point against Kobe Bryant in one-on-one if he is trying his hardest? (For my particular friend I said no.) The last reason is how sawesome (super awesome) and over-the-top they can get over a few drinks, which is why I'm beering you a hypothetical.

Hypothetical #1


If the five shortest and five tallest NBA players since 1990 played against each other while in their prime, who would win. Team Short: Mugsy Bogues (5'3"), Earl Boykins (5'5"), Spud Webb (5'7"), Nate Robinson (5'9"), and player-coach Avery Johnson (5'9"). I found quite a few at 5'9" but I chose these two for Nate's dunking ability and Avery's unintentional-humor factor. Team Tall: at point guard Yao Ming (7'6"), Chuck Nevitt (7'5"), Shawn Bradley (7'6"), Gheorghe Muresan (7'7"), and Manute Bol (7'7"). Before I get into why I think a certain team will win, here's a couple videos to help explain myself better. (might want to turn the volume down if at you are at work)










At first I was only going to post the Yao video, but I know half of my eight readers (friends), are Rockets fan who take jabs at Yao Ming personally, whereas Mavs fans like myself think jabs at Shawn Bradley are funny too. Obviously I would go with the short squad, and for various reasons that include: the three point line, the stamina factor, the better overall talent on Team Short, and personal bias, since I measure the same as Spud. If you disagree I'd like to hear why. If you're also short and know or work with someone very tall, remember, there's nothing wrong with talking hypotheticals over some cold brew. Likewise if you're tall and work with someone very short.

______________________________________________

Song of the Post

No comments:

Post a Comment