Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Catching Up


I first and foremost want to apologize for leaving all of you (however few "you" actually represents) a week and a half without a post. I can assure you that posting on this blog is still a top priority (I'm still GF-less, still job-less); however, I would eventually like to get a girlfriend and a job, thus, I took valuable blog-posting time and used it to study for the GMAT (A standardized test necessary for graduate business school acceptance). If you don't see the cause-and-effect I've implied, here it is in Lehman's terms. More studying leads to better GMAT score, better GMAT score leads to better MBA program, better MBA program leads to better job, better job leads to girlfriend (assuming I can't get one before the end of this equation). Anyways, I took the GMAT on this past Thursday and had been studying way harder than I generally would have liked to since my last post on the Wednesday before. If you're wondering how I did (the scores are given right away) I won't tell you my exact score but lets just say my performance was similar to Frank the Tank's performance in the debate versus James Carville in Old School. Basically, I'm admitting that any stroke of genius that I'm miraculously capable of showing can only be explained by me blacking out. By the way, the real reason I made the analogy was so that I could embed the clip from the movie, but much to my chagrin (love that word) it wasn't on YouTube.

A few things have happened since we last talked, or since I last blogged and you may or may not have read it. So lets catch up:

OU's women's basketball team lost in the Final Four of the women's tourney, and normally I wouldn't care just as much as the next guy. On top of that, the rivalry between OU and UT has nothing to do with why I'm glad they lost; I'm just glad to see someone go down who put their scholarship on the line if their team didn't win the national title. It's ridiculous for anyone to think Oklahoma would rescind her scholarship and take the money back (which they already said the won't do). There's nothing wrong with guaranteeing victory, especially if you're Rasheed Wallace and you can "Guaransheed victory", but to put something on the line as valuable as a college scholarship (in the words of Jim Rome) "burns" me.

Michael Jordan, David Robinson, John Stockton, Jerry Sloan, and C. Vivian Stringer were all inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame. You most likely already know this, and if you don't, you can go to ESPN to get real journalistic work on it, but I do have a couple things to share about some of these players/coaches. First and foremost, is John Stockton the last White-American (emphasis on American) superstar to play in NBA? Is the globalization of basketball to blame? I personally say yes to both, but hope I'm wrong on the first. Also, MJ was, is, and will always be the greatest as far as I'm concerned, and I could sit and watch his highlights all day. However, this following highlight urks me a little (yes, i said urks):



It's not that the play isn't amazing or that it could only be done by very few, I just think it is slightly over-hyped relative to other MJ highlights in his seemingly never-ending reel of highlights. He states in this video that he switched hands because he thought his dunk might get blocked by Sam Perkins, but if you watch it closely, it wasn't close to being blocked. I see it similarly to an amazing dunk on a fast break, jaw-dropping and rare, but also an two points made more difficult.

_________________________________________________

Meory #2
(incase you don't recall, or are new to my humble excuse for a blog, a "meory" is a theory backed up only by me, no scientific research or solid evidence here.)

There is a strong correlation between a person's amount of athleticism relative to professional athletes and their ability to celebrate with style (and without injury). Prime example of this is when old Bill Gramatica tore his ACL celebrating after a made field goal. Compared to the average professional athlete I'd have to say its hard to argue that he was below the average athletic ability threshold. Moreover, when's the last time you have seen a top player of any sport make a fool of themselves celebrating? I can't say I remember, but I'm open to suggestions. Without further ado, here are some YouTube clips of some of my favorite celebrations gone awry, and a few with a little more style/creativity.

Celebrations by sub-par professional athletes:

gus frerotte head-butt/concussion (it has been taken off of youtube, but if you scroll down at look at one of the user pictures you'll see a little mini-video of it.

Some CFL QB, no wonder he couldn't celebrate at real pro level.



Celebrations by top athletes:

Marshawn Lynch (although this is a post-game celebration and he was in college, this is just too sawesome not to show)



I personally feel the majority of football and basketball players make up the best pro athletes (biased opinion), but I definitely agree that soccer players, especially the following ones, help make the upper-echelon of athletic ability amongst pro athletes.


_________________________________________________


Song of the Post

1 comment:

  1. My goodness what video greatness. Checkout this track, Phoenix - 1901.

    ReplyDelete