Thursday, April 9, 2009

I'm Seeing Red (Ranger Red)

***(I started this blog entry last friday before the Rangers loss against the Tiger started. But considering they went 0-3 wearing their blue, I stand by wanting to see the Rangers wear more red.)

I'm all about the people (in this case, person) and since my one registered blog follower, Sean Brown, wants an entry about baseball I'm gonna give it to him. And what better time to do it than right after a sweep by the Rangers to start off the season. Side note, when it comes to colors in general, and on uniforms, I prefer blue. But, with the Rangers' 3 - 0 start while wearing Ranger Red, I'm thinking I could get used to red. I know it's just three games, and it was just the Indians, but the Rangers did knock out last year's Cy Young winner in 5 innings (7 earned runs), get a gem of a start from "ace" Kevin Millwood, and saw some new faces make nice contributions (Elvis Andrus, Andruw Jones, Omar Vizquel). It's tough being a Rangers fan, that goes without question, but they have been fun to watch, sometimes even for other teams fans:



The Rangers style reminds me of another team, the 06-07 Phoenix Suns. I know it's a different sport and year, but just check out these analogies before you go cursing me for comparing them to a basketball team, not to mention a Western Conference rival of the Mavs. Part of this is prediction, part of this is based on what they've already done, and all of this is admittedly a stretch, but just think about it.

Ballpark in Arlington :: Mike D'antoni
Playing at the Ballpark in Arlington is like playing for Mike D'antoni. You can count on the high-scoring games with little defense (pitching).

Ian Kinsler :: Steve Nash
Everything gets started with the lead-off man just like it does with the point guard. Steve Nash had MVP numbers and Kinsler has put up and will put MVP potential numbers this year too.

Josh Hamilton :: Amare Stoudamire
The heavy hitters of their respective teams. Hamilton drives in runs like Amare finishes.

Michael Young :: Shawn Marion
Just like Shawn Marion could do a little bit of everything for the Suns, Michael Young can do a little bit of everything for the Rangers, and they're both all-star caliber players.

Nelson Cruz :: Leandro Barbosa
Just like Leandro finally came around the '06-'07 season to put up his best numbers, so will Nelson Cruz this year.

Elvis Andrus :: Raja Bell
Even though Andrus has been given a spot in the starting lineup mainly for his defense, he is going to be quite the offensive surprise, just like Bell was for the Suns.

Chris Davis :: Boris Diaw
Although their numbers won't be and were not as good as Josh Hamilton and Amare Stoudamire (respectively), Chris Davis is capable of being a quality clean-up hitter just like Boris had his best year when asked to step up in place of an injured Stoudamire.
___________________________________________________

Suggestion Box

If you've been following you know I rarely talk much about music, and even though I'm not a musician and don't know have any qualifications to talk about it, I like it, a lot. I really like hearing about new bands and songs and I've been lucky enough to get some recent suggestions, which I'll include now. I'm not going to do a Song of the Post since I'm already embedding these songs. Enjoy. (For any suggestions email nonechance@gmail.com)




Animal Collective - My Girls
-Thanks to Keith H. in Seattle, WA


Red Sea, Black Sea - Shearwater
-Thanks to Leslie L. in Austin, TX

Bon Iver - Skinny Love
-Thanks to Evan C. in Denton, TX


Phoenix - 1901
-Thanks to Heath R. in Austin, TX (Suggestion #2 for Heath, the current leader)

This last one wasn't actually a suggestion by a reader. Instead, it's a suggestion by me to check out my friend and ex-classmate (who I mention in my profile) Molly's blog, Cheers & Rock 'n' Roll, as it always has solid suggestions for new music to check out. My personal opinion is that the blog is aimed a little more at the female gender, not that mine isn't aimed more towards the Y chromosome carriers out there. However, it's still a great blog to check out, so I suggest you do, if for anything else because she posts videos like this: (Regardless if you like the music, you have to agree the video is sawesome.)

No comments:

Post a Comment